Baby massage is a great way to spend some one to one time with your baby. It is hugely relaxing for the parent and baby, whilst also having many health benefits. It involves using a series of gentle, soothing, rhythmic strokes with non-fragranced vegetable oils on different areas of the body. Each week, there is a focus on a different area of the body that can be tied all together by the end of the course. The instructor will teach you all of the strokes whilst you are working directly on your baby in the class. It is a great way to enjoy valuable one to one quality time with your baby and enhance and build that special bond. Mums, dads and grandparents are all welcome to come and learn. Just a little warning, there may be some singing involved! You will learn a massage routine that you’ll be able to use anytime at home.
The sensory system is the first system that babies develop and respond to. Massage helps directly stimulate this and therefore is a great aid for a babies brain development.
Based in Chislehurst, Kent at Chislehurst Chiropractic clinic. These group classes are run in a relaxed and calm environment by experienced Paediatric Chiropractors. The instructors baby massage training is accredited by FEDANT (Federation of Antenatal Educators) and The Royal College of Midwives.
The course runs over 4 weeks each session running for 1 hour. This course costs £60. These classes are suitable for babies of any age up to 1 year old. Parents will massage the baby as the instructors will demonstrate the strokes on a doll.
Classes are baby led, so never worry if the class coincides with your baby’s feed or nap and never worry about your baby crying during the class. They all do, it’s normal! Many parents find that the discussion time during the classes extremely supportive and beneficial as many topics are discussed.
Call us on 02082951733 to book your space now
The International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM) explain the four categories that show the benefit of baby massage:
• Interaction: This is a focused time where you have quality bonding with your baby by lovingly touching, interacting, talking and singing to them.
• Stimulation: The gentle rhythmic strokes focus on different areas of the body. Touching stimulates their sensory system and in turn helps nervous system and brain development
• Relief: Research shows that baby massage can help reduce symptoms of colic, reflux, constipation and teething.
• Relaxation: It’s a calm activity which is great for both of you and helps release healthy hormones such as oxytocin and endorphins.
Benefits for Babies
- Develops a feeling of being loved
- Can alleviate trapped wind, soothe colic and constipation
- Help reduce teething and gum pains
- Ease blocked/congested nose
- Develops baby’s first language – Touch/Sensory system
- Develops the nervous system, brain and coordination
- Helps to regulate and strengthen the baby’s digestion, respiratory system
- Promotes relaxation
- Improves quality of sleep
- Strengthens and tones muscles
- Can help to reduce ’fussiness’
- Offers skin to skin for non breast fed babies
- Increases baby’s ability to gain weight
Benefits for Parents
- Great way to connect with your baby
- Gives parents practical tools to soothe common ailments
- Can alleviate the effects of post natal depression
- Enhances parents confidence in dealing with baby
- Helps parent-baby communication
- Helps parents understand their baby’s cues
- Teaches positive loving touch
- Promotes lactation in breastfeeding mums
- Promotes relaxation
- Helps parents be aware of their developing baby
Call us now to book your place on 02082951733