Chiropractic & Baby Massage
At Chislehurst Chiropractic Clinic we are passionate about treating mothers and babies. We love helping mothers throughout their pregnancy with chiropractic adjustments to ease any areas of pain and discomfort and make sure the body is in alignment before the delivery of the baby. We also really love seeing and looking after the babies when they arrive too!
We see babies in their first weeks of life and check for any areas of tension and nerve interference. In complicated births such as C-section and forceps delivery it is common for babies to develop areas of tension within the cranial bones, neck, shoulders and spine. Chiropractic treatment can help relax these areas and also enable better nerve supply to the whole body. Sixty percent of the brain develops in the first year of life so it is extremely important that the brain and nervous system are balanced. This ensures that children hit all their developmental milestones easily.
Because we love helping babies, we have baby massage courses within our clinic. These classes complement chiropractic care as well as having many additional benefits. Baby massage helps stimulate the nervous system and helps to ease areas of tension. Massage helps to stimulate muscle tone and relax any areas of muscle imbalance. It is a great way for parents to enjoy valuable one to one quality time with their baby to enhance and build that special bond!
A ten minute massage, two or three times a week at home helps build a more confident parent-baby relationship. Babies love it and it can help alleviate baby ailments too. Many babies are clingy, unsettled, suffer from colic perhaps sleep poorly. Massage is a great way to relax their system which helps them to be more comfortable and settled which i’m sure many mums would be grateful for. When our baby is in obvious discomfort, we can often feel powerless to help. Once you have attended the classes, you will feel confident and equipped to use and continue these techniques at home at any time.
We always encourage parents to have their babies spines checked as a matter of course, however, if you simply want to enjoy a great bonding experience and go home with some great tools to enhance that special parent-baby bond come along to one of our amazing baby massage classes!
Benefits for Parents
- Releases oxytocin and develops a feeling of being loved
- Excellent way of connecting with your baby
- Gives parents practical tools to soothe common ailments
- Can alleviate the effects of postnatal depression
- Helps parents to develop a deeper positive interaction with their baby
- Smoothes the transition from womb to the world
- Promotes lactation in breastfeeding mums (through stimulation of hormones)
- Offers a skin to skin activity for non breast feeding mums
- Promotes relaxation
Benefits for Babies
- Jaw massage can relax a baby who has just begun to take solids
- Can alleviate trapped wind, soothe colic and alleviate constipation
- Gum massage through the skin may ease the pain of teething
- Can unblock baby’s blocked nose
- Develops body/mind awareness and coordination
- Can help to reduce ‘irritability’
- Helps to regulate and strengthen baby’s digestive and respiratory systems and stimulate circulatory and nervous systems
- Develops baby’s first language: touch
- Improves quality of sleep
- Strengthens and tones muscles
- Improves skin conditions
- Offers skin to skin activity for non breast fed babies
- Aids and supports development